Internship / Graduation project - Data Science
Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, 's-HertogenboschTechnology
Floryn is one of the fastest-growing fintech companies in the Netherlands. We aim to be the most responsible, scalable and customer-friendly online lender in Europe. We’ve lent out over € 654 million since our inception in 2016 and have processed over € 6.3 billion in transaction volume. We're located in a monumental building in the city centre of 's-Hertogenbosch that also houses the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS). We are with around 50 people, split over Development, Data, Risk, Marketing and Sales.
Our technology plays an essential role in everything we do, and has a major impact on businesses and people. Therefore, we work with a fully in-house development team. Building great stuff is what drives us and quality always comes first. Our organisation is flat and communication lines are short, so we can move quickly. We don’t believe in code monkeys, we give you a problem and trust you will come up with an outstanding solution. We do believe in sane working hours and long-term solutions, instead of 70-hour work weeks with temporary workarounds.
Being a Data Science Graduate Student at Floryn means you consider yourself a healthy mix between a software engineer, a researcher, and a hacker. You can read more on what we mean by that in one of our latest blog posts.
We value research projects that are able to contribute to the scientific community while bringing business value to the company as a whole. To achieve that you will have the opportunity to work with our machine learning models and pipelines as well as experiment with our deployment, validation and feature engineering processes. For that matter, you are more than welcome to contribute any improvements or suggestions. You will collaborate with the rest of the data team as well as technical stakeholders from other teams. You will also work closely with the Risk, Marketing and Sales teams to ensure the success of your project.
Potential graduation topics:
There are plenty of research opportunities, and we are open to even more suggestions. Below you can find a non-exhaustive list that our data scientists have identified:
- Build bayesian inference models trained on the financial data of our credit applicants to predict risk
- Experiment with Weak Supervision to make our models more robust against noisy target labels
- Detect money laundering schemes, fraud and payment problems in financial data
- Build ethical, trustworthy and fair models on financial data.
- Apply NLP techniques on the financial transaction data that we retrieve from banks to predict what a transaction is (ie. revenue, loans, staff, etc.)
- Transform our transactional data into graphs to calculate centrality metrics and cluster our customers based on the graph data
Speaking of tech, we have a technology-neutral mindset to engineering and believe in well-tested, robust code. We love open source but are not religious about any specific language or framework. Our software engineers work with modern open source technology such as Ruby, Rails, ES6, React, Redux, PostgreSQL, Docker and AWS. Data scientists mostly use Python, Deepnote, FastAPI, Scikit-learn, Pandas, and Looker but often interact with other technologies deployed in the company.
In fact, we are using Machine Learning models in production and are managing of all the infrastructure around these models that is needed for them to perform well. We’re big on continuous integration and deployment, automated testing and kanban, pull-based processes. Finally, we have a thing for knowledge-sharing, so make sure you prepare a cool lightning talk about your work!
If you want to know more please don't hesitate to apply so we can explore the opportunities ahead!
- You like to work in both ML and software engineering
- You are following a data science, software engineering or related master's program at a Dutch educational institute
- You are available for 6 months
- You have some practical experience working with data or software engineering
- Experience with cloud platforms is a plus (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Compensation of €750,- per month
- The project is for one student
- Communication is in English
- You will be the 7th consecutive successful master graduation project at Floryn
- Great coffee and free lunch at the office
- MacBook Pro and all high-end gear that you need
- A fantastic office in the center of ‘s-Hertogenbosch, flexible working hours and freedom to also work remote