Backend Software Engineer
Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, 's-HertogenboschTechnology
As a Backend Software Engineer you will help us build a technology startup that is somewhat like a bank, without being one. You're working on a machine that is sending millions of euros around daily and is helping entrepreneurs to grow their business by providing business loans. You’ll be working on improving and expanding the core platform of Floryn.
What you'll be doing
- Create new features and products to make sure we can deliver the best service as possible to our customers.
- Make better use of the data we collect and measure the impact of your changes.
- Improve our code base and keeping our systems tidy and healthy.
- Work in one of our teams of about 6 developers that focus on an important part of our application.
- Get involved in what you build. We have no product owners, so we expect you to think critically and collaborate with the marketing, sales and risk teams.
- Develop yourself and your team.
We have a technology neutral mindset to engineering and believe in well-tested, robust code. We love open source but are not religious about any specific language or framework. We work with modern open source technology such as Ruby, Rails, ES6, React, Redux, PostgreSQL, Docker and AWS. Our Data team uses Python, Spark, Pandas, Looker and more. We are using Machine Learning models in production and are managing of all the infrastructure around these models that is needed for them to perform well. We’re big on continuous integration and deployment, automated testing and kanban, pull-based processes.
Floryn is one of the fastest growing fintech companies in the Netherlands. We aim to be the most responsible, scalable and customer-friendly online lender in Europe. We’ve lent out over € 200 million since inception (2016) and have processed over € 2 billion in transaction volume. We're located in a monumental building in the city centre of 's-Hertogenbosch that also houses the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS). We are with around 50 people, split over Development, Data, Risk, Marketing and Sales.
The technology that we build plays an essential role in everything we do, so we work with a fully in-house development team. Building great stuff is what drives us and quality always comes first. Our technology has a major impact on businesses and people. Our organisation is flat and communication lines are short, so we can move quickly. We don’t have code monkeys. Instead, we give you a problem and trust you will come up with an outstanding solution. We believe in sane working hours and long-term solutions, instead of 70-hour work weeks with temporary workarounds. We do things our own way, we ship code every day and we take pride in our work.
- Several years experience as a Software Engineer and can be up and running quickly. We have a balanced team of junior and senior engineers, so we have room for both.
- Excellent knowledge of one (or more) of the following: Ruby, Python, Rails or PostgreSQL. Or comparable frameworks and languages.
- Hands-on experience using infrastructure as a service provider such as AWS is a nice to have
- You have high standards concerning software quality.
- You hold a relevant degree or are self-taught in Computer Science.
- Fluency in English.
Perks & benefits
- Good salary, pension contribution and 25 days paid time off.
- Daily ‘bourgondische’ lunch at the office.
- Generous budget to develop yourself with books, courses and conferences.
- MacBook Pro and all high-end gear that you need.
- Many team activities, from drinks to sporting events.
- Travel comfortably by first-class rail or €0,19/km and parking.
- Work from home or from the office, whatever suits you.